Tuesday, July 13, 2010

To Thine Old Clothes Be True



So due to the ineptitude of the USPS, I will not be receiving my prized Anthro dress I bought on eBay for a fraction of the original cost (and not to mention the dress was from 2 years ago so it's not available anywhere and that I lost sleep trying to post the winning bid). I am just so pissed and frustrated, but I'll have to let it go because there's nothing to be done. I can only hope that whomever it graces will treat it with tender loving care. Goodbye, Softshape Dress, goodbye! Parting is such sweet sorrow.


Now that I'm a little down, I decided to peruse my closet (I really don't feel up to spending any money for a while, as I lost money on this eBay dress...bitter much? YES!) and came up with some really cool combinations from what I already own:
revamped a Gap skirt by adding a cute belt;
paired a belt and a sparkly tank with a Gap dress;
added a bib necklace to an otherwise plain tank dress; and
added a vest and a ruffled skirt to a tube dress, instantly making my old clothes feel new.

Ladies, you really must try it. Pour yourself a glass of wine, throw on some fun music, stand in front of your closet (in cute undies preferably - to more easily try stuff on) and let your clothes speak to you. If you're not hearing anything after a while, reorder/re-fold your garments and sip, sip, sip. You'd be surprised at what you find back there in the recesses of your closet. Some oldie but goody that went out of style years ago but is back in style again. Some forgotten splurge purchase that was hidden in the back from the bf/husband's prying eye, tag still attached or that piece that will suddenly tie a couple of outfits together.

My closet probing really was refreshing and did cheer me up somewhat (I swear, every time I think of the petal softness and utter cuteness of my eBay dress I could just scream!!!). Ahem. I realized all the great old pieces that I had and paired with some new accessory, expanded my closet, saved myself some bucks and made me fall in love all over with my closet.

Experiment with the different pieces that you come across while you dance and sip and sing. It's actually quite fun. Challenge yourself and put things together that you probably wouldn't have in the past. I'm sure you'll find, as I have, a smorgasbord of new outfits made from totally 'vintage' stuff that was just lying about in your closet. It almost makes up for the swipe of the credit card and the intoxicating smell of new clothes. Almost...






What I'm Wearing:
Dress: JCrew
Belt (new): Anthropologie Leaps and Bounds Belt
Necklace: Lord & Taylor - Cara Accessories



What I'm Wearing:
Dress: Gap
Tank: ArdenB
Belt (new): Marc by Marc Jacobs
Bag: Coach
Shoes: Via Spiga
Turquoise Earrings: Etsy









What I'm Wearing:
Tee: Forever 21
Skirt: Gap
Belt (new): American Apparel, $16.00
Shoes: Nine West
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment